Rights and responsibilities of employees, employers, organisations etc.Chapter 3 General protectionsPart 3-1 Other protectionsDivision 5
3.01Temporary absence—illness or injury
(1) For section 352 of the Act, this regulation prescribes kinds of illness or injury.
Note: Under section 352 of the Act, an employer must not dismiss an employee because the employee is temporarily absent from work because of illness or injury of a kind prescribed by the regulations.
(2) A prescribed kind of illness or injury exists if the employee provides a medical certificate for the illness or injury, or a statutory declaration about the illness or injury, within:
(a) 24 hours after the commencement of the absence; or
(b) such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances.
Note: The Act definesmedical certificate in section 12.
(3) A prescribed kind of illness or injury exists if the employee:
(a) is required by the terms of a workplace instrument:
(i) to notify the employer of an absence from work; and
(ii) to substantiate the reason for the absence; and
(b) complies with those terms.
(4) A prescribed kind of illness or injury exists if the employee has provided the employer with evidence, in accordance with paragraph 107(3)(a) of the Act, for taking paid personal/carer's leave for a personal illness or personal injury, as mentioned in paragraph 97(a) of the Act.
Note: Paragraph 97(a) of the Act provides that an employee may take paid personal/carer's leave if the leave is taken because the employee is not fit for work because of a personal illness, or personal injury, affecting the employee.
(5) An illness or injury is not a prescribed kind of illness or injury if:
(i) the employee's absence extends for more than 3months; or
(ii) the total absences of the employee, within a 12month period, have been more than 3months (whether based on a single illness or injury or separate illnesses or injuries); and
(b) the employee is not on paid personal/carer's leave (however described) for a purpose mentioned in paragraph 97(a) of the Act for the duration of the absence.
(6) In this regulation, a period of paid personal/carer's leave (however described) for a purpose mentioned in paragraph 97(a) of the Act does not include a period
Fair Work Regulations 2009
Compilation date: 11/09/2021
Compilation No. 36